Searching on Twitter, Facebook and Google is a great way for you to find new competitions, particularly if you’re looking for specific prizes or local promotions. Or you might simply want to find new comps to share on a forum!
Today I’m looking at how compers can use Google, and have recorded a six minute guide to searching for competitions and sweepstakes – watch it and then have a go at setting up some searches for your own most wanted prizes. If you don’t have a prize wishlist yet – make one now! Focusing on what you actually want to win rather than entering every competition out there should definitely be a priority.
Tips for your Google search
- Go to www.google.com (log in if you have a Google account) and type win and your desired prize, eg. win Italy holiday in the search box.
- When you get the results, click Search Tools – underneath, change Any Country to your country of choice and change Any Time to a date range of your choice – try Past week.
- If you want to exclude words from your search results, simply add a dash (minus sign) before the word eg. win holiday -Australia would give you holiday competitions but NOT any that mention Australia!
- When you put a phrase in quotes, the results will only include pages with the same words in exactly the same order as what’s inside the quotes – for example “win a family holiday”
- Type OR in capital letters to search for pages that may have just one of two words, eg. Win competition Spain OR Italy holiday gives results for both destinations – without the OR, Google would only show websites that match both Spain and Italy.
- If you want to restrict your search to a certain website, use site: before the site address, removing any www or http://, eg. win Macbook site:forums.moneysavingexpert.com will only show you results from the MSE forum.
- If you want to exclude certain websites from your search, simply add a dash (minus sign) before site: eg. -site:myoffers.co.uk would exclude comps listed on the spam-generating My Offers website
- Try experimenting – you can combine all these different types of terms in your search box:
Spain OR Italy “win a family holiday” -site:topfox.co.uk -site:myoffers.co.uk
- Search for wishlist prizes, favourite competition types and local competitions – also think about phrases that you might find in T&Cs such as “judged on creativity”, “words or less” “closing date for entries” – all these should give you results that are prize draws or competitions!
- Use browser bookmarks to save your searches so you can check them regularly for the latest competitions
- Your search might show ads from survey sites like My Offers – if they do, you can click on the ‘i’ and choose to block ads from those websites.
- There’s advice on filtering search results using different devices on Google Support forums.
Do you have any more search tips? Let me know in the comments section!
If you found this post helpful, why not join my SuperLucky mailing list? Simply pop your email address in the box below!