How to unlike pages on Facebook
Did you know that Facebook limits the number of pages a user can Like? Facebook Help pages claim the limit is 5,000 pages but some users are able to like many more pages than that (I reckon I’m on about 6,000!)
If you enter a lot of giveaways then you’re probably liking a few new Facebook pages every single day, and that means you might well be approaching your limit. You might already have had a pop-up warning that you’re unable to like any more pages!
To clear out the clutter, why not have a Facebook spring clean and Unlike some pages – for example, businesses that have closed down, apps that no longer exist, or pages you’re just not interested in any more. In this post I’ll show you how to unlike pages on Facebook individually – and also a quicker way to unlike Facebook pages in bulk.
How to unlike a page on facebook.com
- Go to the page by clicking on the page name in your News Feed, or searching for it
- Click on the Liked button at the top of the page – it will change to a Like button
How to unlike a page using the Facebook app
- Go to the page by tapping on the page name in your News Feed, or tapping the Search icon and typing its name into the search bar
- To the right of the page name, tap Liked
- Tap Unlike in the pop up box
- It will change from blue Liked back to a grey Like
How to unlike Facebook pages in bulk
But what if you want to unlike lots of pages as quickly as possible – or if you don’t know exactly which pages you want to unlike?
There have been third party apps and browser extensions created to unlike pages in bulk, but some (like the widely used Unlike It) no longer exist, and others just don’t seem to work! So unfortunately, the best way to unlike pages fast is to do it directly on Facebook.
To access a list of all your liked pages, go to your Facebook profile page and under your cover photo, click More and then Likes.
The pages you like will appear with the most recent first, and you can hover over each one and click Liked on the page preview to unlike it. But this is time consuming – plus, if you’ve liked these pages recently, you probably don’t want to unlike them yet!
Instead, here’s how to use the Facebook Activity log to unlike multiple pages as efficiently as possible.
Unlike multiple pages using the Activity Log
The most practical way to unlike lots of pages on Facebook is to do it chronologically – some of the pages you liked ten years ago probably aren’t even used any more, and your interests may have changed too. My tip is to start back when you joined Facebook, and scroll through your list of page likes unliking as many as you dare!
How to unlike multiple pages on www.facebook.com
- On your profile, click … and then select Activity Log
- On the left hand menu, click on Date under the Filters heading
- Choose a year (and month, if appropriate)
- Under Activity Types on the left hand menu, click Connections, then Pages, Page Likes and Interests
- You’ll see a list of your page likes from that year/month
- From the list of pages, click … and then Unlike
- Repeat this by scrolling down and clicking to unlike as many pages as you want – they will disappear from your list.
- If you can’t remember what a page is, right-click (or ctrl-click) on the name to open the page in a new window. This is actually a good opportunity to check pages to see if they’re still being used, or have any current giveaways running, before you decide to unlike!
How to unlike multiple pages on the Facebook app
- Tap your photo to go to your profile
- Tap . . . (under your profile picture, to the right) and then select Activity Log
- At the top, tap Page Likes
- Then tap the filters icon (top left), and Date – select start and end dates for your search
- Tap the . . . beside a page – then choose unlike from the pop up to unlike it.
Hopefully that’s helped you to tidy up your page likes!
Enjoyed this post? You might like to check out:
You are a comp legend! Been following you for many years and have shared your tips. Thanks Di
Thanks Mo! Glad the tips have been helpful!
I am still can’t unlike the page that had been deleted after adding that Chrome Extension.
Same here. It doesn’t work.
I used the extension to get the classic facebook but when I try to unlike a page that no longer exists I get a pop up saying “Unable to Add Friend” and under that, it says “This isn’t an active profile”
I’m finding that when I am unliking multiple Facebook pages on my PC, using the above method, they are reappearing in the year list, Say for instance I delete a load in 2013 and then go back to facebook for a break, as its pretty tedious, when I return to carry on deleting the pages I previously deleted are still there? I’ve spent hours and hours doing this from 2013 to 2015 and nothing stays deleted?
Great help and overview, esp. since FB occasionally changes the look and functions, which is really annoying. I found the explanation for the activity protocol most helpful.
Tried the extension on Chrome and it didn’t work.
Try contacting the developer at email@example.com
OMG, you’re a lifesaver – I couldn’t work out how to unlike my oldest pages on the new layout and this has solved my issues!
This doesn’t answer how do I removed liked pages that no longer exist on Facebook.
If you switch back to the old version of Facebook you may be able to do this. Add this Chrome Extension – https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/old-layout-for-facebook/abmkkackbbimmdbfjdilpnfaegaeagge/ – it tells Facebook that you’re using an old browser and switches back to classic Facebook. You should then be able to go to your Likes list and choose ‘Unlike’ from the drop down menus. Let me know if that works.
I tried switching back to the old version of Facebook just as you recommended and I can confirm this method works!
Oh that’s good to hear Marie – thanks for letting me know!
its not working.
whenever i unlike a page that doesnt exist I get a “Unable to Add Friend- This isn’t an active profile.” notification 🙁
Could you please tell after adding it to the desktop where we can find it & open it?
to Lauren, i myself am trying to find that answer, it’s lookin like you can not unlike old likes that do not exist anymore but they still come up in your likes, it’s very frustrating.
What about deleting pages you’ve liked that have subsequently been deleted. If I try going to them to unlike, then I just get an error message to say the page has been deleted and I can’t actually remove it. If I just hover my curser over it, nothing pops up. Any suggestions?
Lauren could you try adding this Chrome Extension – https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/old-layout-for-facebook/abmkkackbbimmdbfjdilpnfaegaeagge/ – it tells Facebook that you’re using an old browser and switches back to classic Facebook. You should then be able to go to your Likes list and choose ‘Unlike’ from the drop down menus. Let me know if that works.
Brilliant thanks going bia activity log as you have set out above is by far the quickest way of unliking I’ve used to date great advice thank you x
Good info thanks. I have that “no earlier than December” problem when I try to use the Activity log to delete. I have been managing my Unlikes by checking my Memories each day & searching for defunct pages in that way though. Also there are a couple of Unlike groups on Facebook, “Unlike It” and “Competition Unlikes” which also show defunct pages too.