Join the 2018 #FoodbankAdvent campaign!
Last November, I joined a group of UK Money Bloggers in creating my own reverse advent calendar for the #FoodbankAdvent campaign, and I’m pleased to say a lot of SuperLucky readers got involved too. The campaign is back for 2018 – and I’d love you to join me and do your own reverse advent calendar again.
During the last financial year, the Trussell Trust handed out more than 1.3 million three-day emergency food supplies to people. Food poverty is now a serious problem in the UK, with Christmas being a particularly difficult time, with heating bills to pay and no school meals for children during the holidays. More than 90% of the food Trussell Trust distributes comes from donations from the public.
How you can help
We can support our local foodbanks and encourage our friends and followers to do the same. If you would like to help your local food bank, join me in creating your own Reverse Advent Calendar. If you have children, it’s a great way to show them that Christmas is a time for giving AND receiving. Plus – one SuperLucky reader who takes part will win a £25 supermarket voucher!
Every day for 25 days, Ryland and I will be adding an item to a donation box which I will take to my local Food Bank in Shoreham at the start of December. You can buy extra products at the supermarket to put in – but as compers, we’ve probably got unwanted products around the home, some bought as qualifiers, some won in competitions, and some freebies from cash back apps like CheckoutSmart or Shopmium! So have a rummage in your cupboards and see what you can find (do check the Best Before date of any food is at least January though).
This year I’ve started mine with a can of Pringles! Follow me on Twitter to see what goes in next…
How to take part in the #FoodbankAdvent
- Find your local Trussell Trust foodbank here.
- Ideally, contact them and check the items they are most in need of
- Pop an item into a box every day for 25 days
- Ideally, get your box to your local food bank in early December so the items can be sorted and sent to where they are most needed in time for Christmas (or collect through December, and drop off in January!)
I’d like to encourage SuperLucky readers to create their own #FoodbankAdvent box, and share photos of the box in progress on social media. This could be on Twitter, Instagram, or on the special post in my Lucky Learners Facebook group.
Take a look in your cupboards for any comp-related products you can spare. Some ideas are: Persil, Bonne Maman cakes, Pringles, Rice Krispies & Corn Flakes, Heinz Mayo, Cadbury chocolate, Heinz Beans… I’m sure you can think of more! Perhaps products you’ve bought from Sainsbury’s for the Swipe and Win comps, or for the purchase-necessary comps at Waitrose, where you need to keep the receipt but not the packaging?
If you aren’t able to donate a full box, individual items are great too – simply pop them into the collection point at your local participating supermarket.
Win a £25 gift card!
To thank you for taking part, anyone who shares a photo of their Foodbank Reverse Advent box on Twitter or Instagram (either in progress or completed) before 24th December, tagging @superluckydi and using the hashtag #FoodbankAdvent will go into a random prize draw to win a £25 gift card for a supermarket of their choice.
UPDATE: the winner is @TraceyLockley who entered on Twitter.
Suggested box contents
- Food – cereal, soup, rice, pasta sauce, tinned meat, fruit & veg, tea/coffee, biscuits
- Toiletries – deodorant, toilet paper, shower gel, shaving gel, shampoo, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste
- Household items – laundry liquid detergent, laundry powder, washing up liquid
- Feminine products – sanitary towels and tampons
- Baby supplies – nappies (especially larger sizes), baby wipes and baby food
And as it’s Christmas, treats like festive biscuits or chocolate would be great to include too. Please avoid any alcohol though!
I hope you’ll join me in this campaign and make a small difference to those less fortunate than ourselves – and I look forward to seeing your hashtagged tweets, Facebook posts and photos!
T&Cs – prize draw
- There is one prize of a £25 gift card for a supermarket of the winner’s choice.
- Open to UK residents aged 18 and over, excluding employees and relatives of SuperLucky.
- Closing date for entries is 11.59pm GMT on 24 December 2018.
- Entrants must share a photo of their Reverse Advent Calendar box on Instagram or Twitter using #FoodbankAdvent
- Multiple photos are welcomed, but the entrant’s name will only go into the draw once.
- The winner will be chosen at random and contacted via private/direct message.
- The winner will be informed by email within 7 days of the closing date and will need to respond within 28 days or a new winner will be chosen.
- The winner’s name will be available on request.
- The prize voucher will be posted to the winner within 28 days of the winner confirming their address.
- The promoter is SuperLucky.
- By participating in this prize draw, entrants confirm they have read, understood and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions