LitterLotto – Bin it to Win it!
Have you heard about LitterLotto®? It’s a neat little app to encourage us to pick up litter – and if you’re lucky, you might be rewarded with a huge cash prize!
Lots of compers are already dedicated to picking up litter of course – especially when it has an on-pack promotion from the compers shopping list. You’ll spot us in the wild, wombling for Doritos bags, Diet Coke bottles, or Cadbury wrappers, so this should be an easy campaign for us to get involved with!
LitterLotto is used across the world, with different countries offering their own cash prizes and exclusive prize draws to reward users. In the UK, McDonalds have partnered with LitterLotto to promote their ‘Keep it Clean’ anti-litter campaign, and when you bin litter there’s a chance of you winning instant cash prizes ranging from £5 to £250. Currently there are also weekly prize draws to win £1,000, but there have also been mega draws with prizes of up to £25,000!
How to enter the LitterLotto
- Download the LitterLotto app at LitterLotto.com (this is my referral link – if you use this we both get an extra prize draw entry!) – it’s available for Apple and Android devices
- Register on the app with your contact details and password – you’ll have to put your phone number in as the jackpot winners are notified by phone!
- Take a photo of yourself putting litter into a bin. The photo MUST include your hand (or a litter picking stick) putting the litter into the bin. See example photo below (you must take this photo in the app – you can’t upload a photo you’ve already taken)
- You’ll get a prize draw entry for every photo you upload, plus the chance to win an instant prize – you can enter as many different photos as you like, but each one must be a different piece of litter!
- Photos will be verified by LitterLotto before any prizes are confirmed. Winners will receive a link to complete your bank account details and cash prizes will be paid into your account within 7-14 days
- Refer friends to get bonus entries in the prize draw – check the app for your unique referral link
You only need to be 13 to use the LitterLotto app – but jackpot prizes must be claimed by an adult aged 18 or older.
What exactly is classed as ‘litter’?
The prize draw rules go into quite a bit of detail about what constitutes a valid photo entry. You must be in the photo putting litter into a bin (ie. you can’t take a photo of someone else binning the litter).
Litter is defined as the packaging of goods that are designed to be consumed on-the-go (ie: out of the home) and will usually be manufactured from paper, cardboard, plastic, glass or wood – eg. snack packaging, takeaway cutlery and trays, bottles, etc. Cigarette butts count, and are probably the most commonly littered items! Food peelings, dog waste or items thrown out in the home (shampoo bottles etc) will not count as litter.
If you’ve been litter picking with a bag, you can upload a photo of the litter going into the bag, but you must also share a photo of the bag being disposed of in a bin!
All photos are verified before prizes are awarded.
What are the prizes?
The instant win prizes range from £5 to £250, and the weekly jackpot prize draw is currently for £1,000, although the format may change from time to time (there was a £25,000 monthly draw prize in March). There are thousands of instant win cash prizes every month, awarded randomly using an algorithm.
General prize draw rules are on the LitterLotto site. The format of the prizes changes each month, so check the app for the latest news!
I hope this will encourage you to pick up litter locally – and please let me know if you’re lucky enough to win a prize!