How to search Google for competitions
Searching on Google is a great way for you to find new competitions, particularly if you’re looking for specific prizes or local promotions. Or you might simply want to find new comps to share on a competition forum like MSE or Loquax!
I’ve recorded a six minute guide to how you can use Google to search for competitions and sweepstakes – watch it and then have a go at saving some searches for your own most wanted prizes. If you don’t have a prize wishlist yet – make one now! Focusing on what you actually want to win rather than entering every competition out there should definitely be a priority.
Tips for a Google search
- Go to www.google.co.uk – NOT www.google.com – and log in if you have a Google account
- Type win and your desired prize, eg. win Italy holiday in the search box.
- When you get the results, click Tools – underneath, change Any Country to your country of choice and change Any Time to a date range of your choice – try Past week.
- If you want to exclude words from your search results, simply add a dash (minus sign) before the word eg. win holiday -Australia would give you holiday competitions but NOT any that mention Australia!
- When you put a phrase in quotes, the results will only include pages with the same words in exactly the same order as what’s inside the quotes – for example “win a family holiday”
- Type OR in capital letters to search for pages that may have just one of two words, eg. Win competition Spain OR Italy holiday gives results for both destinations – without the OR, Google would only show websites that match both Spain and Italy.
- If you want to restrict your search to a certain website, use site: before the site address, removing any www or http://, eg. win Macbook site:forums.moneysavingexpert.com will only show you results from the MSE forum.
- If you want to exclude certain websites from your search, simply add a dash (minus sign) before site: eg. -site:myoffers.co.uk would exclude comps listed on the spam-generating My Offers website
- Try experimenting – you can combine all these different types of terms in your search box:
Spain OR Italy “win a family holiday” -site:topfox.co.uk -site:myoffers.co.uk
- Search for wishlist prizes, favourite competition types and local competitions – also think about phrases that you might find in T&Cs such as “judged on creativity”, “words or less” “closing date for entries”, “proof of purchase required” – combine these with the word win or competition, and you should get plenty of comps in the results!
- Try searches for themed comps too – eg. win valentines day competition, Halloween photo competition
- Use browser bookmarks to save your searches so you can check them regularly for the latest competitions
- There’s advice on filtering search results using different devices on Google Support forums.
- The same tips can be used for Twitter searches too!
Do you have any more Google search tips? Let me know in the comments section!