Swipe to Win promotions: everything you need to know
Swipe-to-win – or scan-to win – promotions are definitely one of the least popular types of prize draw amongst compers, that’s for sure!
The automatic entry element means you’re likely to be up against thousands (perhaps even millions!) of other entrants – particularly if the promotion is on a popular cheap product like Coca-Cola or Walkers crisps.
With a swipe-to-win promotion, you’re automatically entered into a prize draw when you buy a product and scan your customer loyalty card (or loyalty app) – so even people who know nothing about the promotion or prize will be entered too! Just imagine Grandma innocently popping into Tesco to buy Coke for her grandson, swiping her Clubcard and next week she gets a phone call, she’s won a rugby training session in New Zealand… uh oh!
It seems like a crazy way to run a promotion, and I imagine it can be hard work for the prize fulfilment agency to convince the winners that they’ve won a prize in a competition they don’t remember entering! But these promotions are really easy for supermarkets and loyalty cards to run, and offer brands a great way to draw attention to their products on the shelves, so it looks like they’re here to stay. And although the chance of winning might seem slim, some of the prizes are huge – so it’s worth the expense of a couple of quid.
For most swipe-to-win promotions, you’re automatically entered into a prize draw when you purchase a specific product at a specific store, and scan or swipe your loyalty card or app. Online shopping also qualifies, as long as your loyalty card is registered to your account.
Important things to check before you swipe to win!
Swipe-to-win winners are contacted by phone or email – so it’s really important you keep your contact details up to date! I’ve heard that many winners miss out on prizes because they’ve moved house, or changed email address, and not updated their information.
- Check you’ve not opted out of marketing communications
- Check your address and phone number are up to date so you can be contacted if you win
Tips for swipe-to-win promotions
- It’s a pain to carry lots of plastic cards in your purse, so download the loyalty apps to your phone instead, then simply scan the barcodes from your phone. On an iPhone, add the cards to your Wallet for easy access.
- Check apps regularly for the latest offers, and look out for competitions advertised in store.
Nectar swipe-to-win promotions
Nectar run ‘Swipe to win’ promotions at Sainsbury’s (and sometimes Sainsbury’s petrol stations) and at Esso garages. Usually purchases made in store and online will qualify, but always check the terms and conditions. Residents of Northern Ireland can usually enter without purchase by calling a helpline listed in the Terms and Conditions for each individual promotion. Look out for the purple ‘Win’ signs hanging in the aisles.
- Nectar ‘Swipe and win’ winners are sometimes contacted by phone, so check your contact details are up to date by logging in at www.nectar.com and choosing Account > Review Your Personal Details
- Check your marketing communications preferences by clicking Account > Communication Preferences.
Tesco swipe-to-win promotions
Tesco have phased out most of their Clubcard Swipe to Win promotions, and now they focus on text comps instead. Find details of all current Tesco text entry comps here.
Tesco do run occasional comps where you have to scan a voucher from their printed magazines or catalogues along with your Clubcard. Entries are usually restricted to just one per person, but check the terms for individual competitions.
- Ensure your contact details are correct by logging in at www.tesco.com, then going to My Account > My Details > Personal Details to check your phone number and then Address Book for your postal address
- Then go to Settings > Marketing Communications, and make sure you’re opted in to receive them!
Co-op swipe-to-win promotions
Co-op regularly do Swipe & Win promotions. For some you will need to buy a specific product, for others you might have a chance to win with every transaction you make. Look out for ‘Buy Scan Win’ competitions advertised on the till displays.
A Co-op Membership card costs £1 and you can sign up here. You earn 2p per £1 spent on certain Co-op items, and can redeem this as money off in store. Co-op also give 2p to a local community cause for every £1 a member spends on certain items, and you can choose your local cause.
There are also weekly offers you can add to your card – eg. money off Walkers or Cadbury products, which can be handy for buying your competition qualifiers! Check the Offers tab when you’re logged in to your account to activate these.
Here’s how to check or update your account and communications details:
- Log in to your account at https://account.coop.co.uk/sign-in
- Go to Change Your Details and confirm your date of birth
- Check your details and marketing preferences – click Change your marketing preferences to update.
More shops and restaurants that run swipe-to-win promotions
These UK brands have loyalty cards or apps, and occasionally run prize draws for loyalty scheme members:
- Booths – sign up for a Booths card
- Boots – sign up for an Advantage card
- BP Me – join the BP Rewards scheme
- Brewers Fayre – pick up a Loyalty card and register online
- Caffe Nero – downoad the app here – they run instant win promotions!
- Costa – join the Coffee Club, Costa do regular instant win promotions when you buy a drink!
- Go Outdoors – a membership card costs £5 and gets you discounts in store. Sign up here.
- Greggs – download the app here
- H&M – sign up for Membership
- Holland and Barratt magazine features competitions where you need a Rewards for Life card to enter – sign up for one here (or download the free app)
- Iceland – sign up for the Bonus card – you can also download the app to scan in store. Iceland regularly run swipe to win promotions for Bonus Card holders.
- IKEA run a regular Swipe-a-Surprise promotion in store – you’ll need to sign up for an Ikea Family card to take part
- John Lewis have a free myJohnLewis rewards card/app where every £1 you spend gets you an entry into their monthly prize draw – join here (or download the free app)
- KFC – join the Colonel’s Club
- Krispy Kreme Rewards – download the app here
- Lidl Plus – download the app here
- Marks & Spencer – join the Sparks scheme for freebies and offers. One Sparks member each week will get their shopping for free!
- Matalan – sign up for a Rewards card, or download the app, and you will be entered into monthly prize draws each time you shop
- Morrisons – sign up for a More card
- Nandos rewards – get your card here
- Paperchase Treat Me – pick up a card in store then register online
- Pets at Home – join the VIP Club
- Shell – simply download the Shell Go+ app, or join Shell Go+ online to get a card posted to you
- Smiggle VIP – join here
- Starbucks – download the Starbucks Rewards app
- Subway – sign up for a Subcard here (you can also download the free Subcard app and get it scanned in store)
- Superdrug regularly does promotions where you can win bonus points and prizes when you swipe in store – sign up for a Health & Beauty Card
- The Body Shop – join the Love Your Body Club here
- The Works – join Together Rewards here
- TK Maxx – sign up for the Treasure reward scheme
- Waitrose have a loyalty card (sign up for My Waitrose here) but for their purchase-necessary competitions, you just need to register details of your receipt online – no loyalty card required. See the latest Waitrose comps here.
- Waterstones Plus – earn £10 credit when you spend £100, and enter occasional Plus prize draws – sign up here
What do you think of Swipe-to-win promotions? Have you ever won a prize in one? Have I missed a loyalty card off the list? Let me know in the comments!