Swipe to Win promotions
Swipe-to-win – or scan-to win – promotions are definitely one of the least popular types of prize draw amongst compers, that’s for sure! The automatic entry element means you’re likely to be up against thousands (even millions!) of other entrants – particularly if the promotion is on a popular cheap product like Coca-Cola or Walkers crisps.
With a swipe-to-win promotion, you’re automatically entered into a prize draw when you buy a product and swipe or scan your customer loyalty card (or app) – so even people who know nothing about the promotion or prize will be entered too! Just imagine Grandma innocently popping into Tesco to buy Coke, swiping her Clubcard and next week she gets a phone call, she’s won a rugby training session in New Zealand… uh oh!
It seems like a crazy way to run a promotion, and I imagine it can be hard work convincing your winners that they’ve won a prize in a competition they don’t remember entering! But these promotions are really easy for supermarkets and loyalty cards to run, and offer brands a great way to draw attention to their products on the shelves, so it looks like they’re here to stay. And although the chance of winning might seem slim, some of the prizes are huge – so it’s worth the expense of a couple of quid.
For most swipe-to-win promotions, you’re automatically entered into a prize draw when you purchase a specific product at a specific store, and scan or swipe your loyalty card or app. Online shopping also qualifies, as long as your loyalty card is registered to your account.
Important things to check
- Check you’ve not opted out of marketing communications
- Check your address and phone number are up to date so you can be contacted if you win
Nectar run ‘Swipe to win’ promotions at Sainsbury’s (and sometimes Sainsbury’s petrol stations) and at Esso garages. Residents of Northern Ireland can usually enter without purchase by calling up a helpline listed in the Terms and Conditions for each individual promotion.
- Nectar ‘Swipe and win’ winners are sometimes contacted by phone, so check your contact details are up to date by logging in at www.nectar.com and choosing Account > Personal Details
- Check your marketing communications preferences by clicking Account > Communication Preferences.
Tesco have phased out their Swipe to Win promotions, and now they focus on text comps instead, although they do run occasional comps where you have to scan a voucher from their printed magazines or catalogues to scan with your Clubcard. Find details of all current Tesco promotions here. Entries are usually restricted to just one per person, but check the terms for individual competitions.
- Your Tesco online account and Clubcard accounts are separate, so ensure your correct details are at www.tesco.com AND at www.tesco.com/clubcard!
- On the Clubcard site, sign in and go to Clubcard Account > Account Management > Contact Preferences > Marketing Communications, click on Make Changes and check that you’ve opted in to marketing communications.
Other shops and restaurants that run swipe-to-win promotions
- Matalan – sign up for a Rewards card, or download the app, and you will be entered into monthly prize draws each time you shop
- Co-op regularly do a Swipe & Win promotion where you don’t need to buy specific items, but have a chance to win with every transaction – a Co-op Membership card costs £1 – sign up here
- IKEA run a regular Swipe-a-Surprise promotion in store – you’ll need to sign up for an Ikea Family card to take part
- Subway – sign up for a Subcard here (you can also download the free Subcard app and get it scanned in store)
- KFC – join the Colonel’s Club
- Superdrug regularly does promotions where you can win bonus points and prizes when you swipe in store – sign up for a Health & Beauty Card
- Morrisons – sign up for a More card
- Booths – sign up for a Booths card
- Iceland – sign up for the Bonus card
- TK Maxx – sign up for the Treasure reward scheme
- Shell – simply download the Shell Go+ app, or join Shell Go+ online to get a card posted to you
- Boots – sign up for an Advantage card
- H&M – sign up for Membership
- BP Me – join the BP Rewards scheme
- Pets at Home – join the VIP Club
- Costa – join the Coffee Club, Costa do regular instant win promotions when you buy a drink!
- Marks & Spencer – join the Sparks scheme for freebies and offers. One Sparks member each week will get their shopping for free!
- Brewers Fayre – pick up a Loyalty card and register online
Promotions with no swiping required!
- Waitrose do have a loyalty card (sign up for My Waitrose here) but for their purchase-necessary competitions, you just need to register details of your receipt online – no loyalty card required. See the latest comps here.
- Poundland occasionally print off competition entry details with a receipt, or have posters in store with entry details – you’ll usually need to send your receipt if you win a prize
- Asda don’t have a loyalty card, but usually require a receipt to be shown to claim the prize after winners have been contacted. See their latest purchase-necessary comps at www.asda.com/win
- Spar don’t have a loyalty card, occasionally run a Shop & Win promotion for customers
- Holland and Barratt magazine features competitions where you need a Rewards for Life card to enter – sign up for one here (or download the free app)
- John Lewis have a free myJohnLewis rewards card/app where every £1 you spend gets you an entry into their monthly prize draw – join here (or download the free app)
What do you think of Swipe-to-win promotions? Have you ever won a prize in one? Have I missed a loyalty card off the list? Let me know in the comments!