Join the #FoodbankAdvent campaign
Have you heard of a reverse advent calendar? This year, for the UK Money Bloggers Christmas campaign, we’re encouraging people to donate a box to their local Trussell Trust Food Bank. December is the busiest month of the year for Foodbanks, and more than 90% of the food Trussell Trust distributes comes from donations from the public.
If you would like to help your local food bank, join us in collecting for a Reverse Advent Calendar this year. If you have children, it’s a great way to show them that Christmas is a time for giving AND receiving.
Every day for 25 days through November, Ryland and I will be adding an item to a donation box which I will take to my local Food Bank at the start of December. You can buy extra products at the supermarket to put in – but as compers, we’ve probably got unwanted products around the home, some bought as qualifiers, some won in competitions, and some freebies from cash back apps like CheckoutSmart or Shopmium! So have a rummage in your cupboards and see what you can find (do check the Best Before date of any food is at least January though).
How to take part in the #FoodbankAdvent
- Find your local Trussell Trust foodbank here.
- Email them and check the items they are most in need of
- Pop an item into a box every day for 25 days
- Ideally, get your box to your local food bank in early December so the items can be sorted and sent to where they are most needed in time for Christmas (or collect through December, and drop off in January!)
- You can also take your donations to Tesco from 20th November – 2nd December
I’d like to encourage SuperLucky readers to create their own #FoodbankAdvent box, and share photos of the box in progress on social media. This could be on Twitter, Instagram, or on the special post in my Lucky Learners Facebook group. So take a look in your cupboards for any comp-related products you can spare. Some ideas are: Cushelle, Cadbury, Family Circle, Walkers, Cheerios, Alberto Balsam shampoo, Princes Tuna, Original Source shower gel, Heinz Kids, Ambrosia, Bachelors Mushy Peas, etc … I’m sure you can find plenty more!
And if you aren’t able to donate a full box, individual items are great too – simply pop them into the collection point at your local participating supermarket.
Win a £25 gift card!
To thank you for taking part, anyone who shares a photo of their complete Foodbank box on Twitter or Instagram before 24th December, tagging @superluckydi and using the hashtag #FoodbankAdvent will go into a random prize draw to win a £25 gift card for a supermarket of their choice.
Competition closed – winner is @IamAmyD on Twitter!
Suggested box contents
- Food – cereal, soup, rice, pasta sauce, tinned meat, fruit & veg, tea/coffee, biscuits
- Toiletries – deodorant, toilet paper, shower gel, shaving gel, shampoo, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste
- Household items – laundry liquid detergent, laundry powder, washing up liquid
- Feminine products – sanitary towels and tampons
- Baby supplies – nappies (especially larger sizes), baby wipes and baby food
And as it’s Christmas, treats like festive biscuits, chocolate or Mince Pies would be good to include too.
I hope you’ll join me in this campaign and make a small difference to those less fortunate than ourselves – and I look forward to seeing your hashtagged tweets, Facebook posts and photos!
T&Cs – prize draw
- There is one prize of a £25 gift card for a supermarket of the winner’s choice.
- Open to UK residents aged 18 and over, excluding employees and relatives of SuperLucky.
- Closing date for entries is 11.59pm GMT on 24 December 2017.
- Entrants must share a photo of their FoodBank donation on Instagram, Twitter using #FoodbankAdvent.
- The winner will be chosen at random and contacted via private/direct message.
- The winner will be informed by email within 7 days of the closing date and will need to respond within 28 days or a new winner will be chosen.
- The winner’s name will be available on request.
- The prize voucher will be posted to the winner within 28 days of the winner confirming their address.
- The promoter is SuperLucky.
- By participating in this prize draw, entrants confirm they have read, understood and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions