Snail spotting in Brighton: raising money for Martlets Hospice
I couldn’t resist blogging about the snail invasion in Brighton this Autumn! The Snailway has 50 giant snail sculptures, each individually designed by artists, all over Brighton and Hove – plus 60 junior snails decorated by schoolchildren.
The trail was launched by Brighton’s favourite local DJ Norman Cook – and raises money for the Martlets Hospice in Hove. The snails can be spotted until 18th November, and each one has a 4-digit code you can input onto the Snailspace app to track your progress, and unlock ‘rewards’ – special offers and competitions.
After the trail ends, each snail will be auctioned off for charity. The ‘Snowdogs by the Sea’ trail in 2016 raised a whopping £337,000 for charity and it’s hoped the snails will raise even more money!
Download the Snailspace app for £1.99 (at least £1 goes to Martlets)
Tap Snailway and you can access a map of the snail locations – the upright snail icons are the Juniors. Tap a grey snail icon and you can input the 4 digit code you find on the snail, the icon will change to either pink (full size) or green (Junior) when you next open up the map. You can see the offers and comps you’ve unlocked by tapping ‘rewards’.
Here’s a list of the snails I’ve spotted so far that give you the chance to win prizes. As I unlock more snails, I’ll continue to add any more comps I find to this list!
- NEW! Things are Looking Up (Marine Parade) – snap a photo and email or share on social to win a print and some sweets
- Life in the Slow Lane (Bandstand) – unlock the snail, and enter a prize draw to win a spa day! (ends 18.11)
- Prisnailla (Brighton Marina) – enter a prize draw to win £250
- Saffron (Old Steyne) – unlock for a link to enter the Loch Associates Design a Snail competition, to win one of five wellness checks. PLUS snap a selfie with Saffron to win art goodies from the artist Ilona Drew! (ends 14.10)
- Paisley (Old Steyne) – tweet a selfie to @GriffithSmithBN with #PaisleySnail to win a gift pack inspired by artist Emma McGowan
- Disco Snail (Churchill Square) – share a selfie with #DiscoSnail to win tickets to 40 years of disco at the Brighton Centre next year
- I ain’t no slug (Medina Terrace) – unlock for a link to a prize draw to win either Sussex Sharks or BHAFC tickets
- Welcome Home (Seven Dials) – unlock the Pilbeam Construction snail and you’ll get a link to download a children’s ‘Design a Snail’ competition to win a set of Annalees Lim art books
- Inca (Royal Pavilion) – snap a selfie and share on the GSP Facebook page for a chance to win tickets to Madagascar the musical on 8 December at the Theatre Royal Brighton (ends 18.11)
- Leaf (Hove Promenade) – count the snails on Leaf and post your answer onto the Yeomans Group Facebook page to win a mini snail every week – they also have a design your own snail competition to win your own mini snail to paint!
Good luck with your adventures, download the app – and don’t forget to #BeMoreSnail!