Join the 2020 #FoodbankAdvent campaign
For the last three years I’ve joined a group of UK Money Bloggers and created my own reverse advent calendar for the #FoodbankAdvent campaign. Each year lots of SuperLucky readers have been keen to get involved too! Our campaign is running again for 2020 – and I’d love you to join me and create your own reverse advent calendar again.
The Trussell Trust, the leading network of food banks in the UK, estimates a 61% increase in demand for food parcels this winter compared to last year. Food poverty is a serious problem in the UK, with Christmas being a particularly difficult time, with heating bills to pay and no school meals for children during the holidays. More than 90% of the food Trussell Trust distributes comes from donations from the public and in 2020 more people than ever will be in need of our help.
How you can help
If you would like to help your local food bank, join me in creating your own Reverse Advent Calendar – and encourage your neighbours, friends and followers to do the same. If you have children, it’s a great way to show them that Christmas is a time for giving AND receiving. Plus – one SuperLucky reader who takes part will win a £25 supermarket voucher!
Every day for 25 days, my son and I will be adding an item to a donation box which I’ll take to my local Food Bank in Shoreham. You can buy extra products at the supermarket to put in – but as compers, we’ve probably got unwanted products around the home, some bought as qualifiers, some won in competitions, and some freebies from cash back apps like CheckoutSmart or Shopmium (use my referral code KYHMFYMF for a Shopmium freebie)!
So have a good look at the back of those kitchen cupboards and see what you can find – check the Best Before date of any food is at least January though.
This year I’ve started mine with a box of Weetos! Follow me on Twitter to see what goes in next…
How to take part in the #FoodbankAdvent
- Find your local Trussell Trust foodbank here.
- Ideally, contact them and check the items they are most in need of
- Pop an item into a box every day for 25 days
- Try to deliver your box to your local food bank before early December so the items can be sorted and sent to where they are most needed in time for Christmas (or collect through December, and drop off in January!)
I’d like to encourage SuperLucky readers to create their own #FoodbankAdvent box, and share photos of the box in progress on social media. This could be on Twitter, Instagram, or on the special post in my Lucky Learners Facebook group.
Take a look in your cupboards for any comp-related products you can spare. Some ideas of current promotional products are: Oat So Simple, McVities, Cadbury chocolate, Maryland Cookies (take photos of codes on packaging before you give them away!). You’ll find lots more on my Compers Shopping List. You might have products you’ve bought from Sainsbury’s for the Swipe and Win comps, or for the purchase-necessary comps at Waitrose, where you need to keep the receipt but not the packaging?
If you aren’t able to donate a full box, individual items are great too – simply pop them into the collection point at your local participating supermarket.
And if you can’t make it to the supermarket, or drop off at a Food Bank, you can also donate online to the Trussell Trust to support the campaign.
Win a £25 gift card!
To thank you for taking part, anyone who shares a photo of their Foodbank Reverse Advent box on Twitter or Instagram (either in progress or completed) before 24th December, tagging @superluckydi and using the hashtag #FoodbankAdvent will go into a random prize draw to win a £25 gift card for a supermarket of their choice.
Suggested box contents
- Food – cereal, soup, rice, pasta sauce, tinned meat & fish, tinned fruit & veg, tea/coffee, biscuits
- Toiletries – deodorant, toilet paper, shower gel, shaving gel, shampoo, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, handwash, hand sanitiser
- Household items – laundry liquid detergent, laundry powder, washing up liquid
- Feminine products – sanitary towels and tampons
- Baby supplies – nappies (especially larger sizes), baby wipes and baby food
- Socks and gloves
And as it’s Christmas, treats like festive biscuits or chocolate would be great to include – but please don’t include alcohol.
I hope you’ll join me in this campaign and make a small difference to those less fortunate than ourselves – I’m looking forward to seeing your hashtagged tweets, Facebook posts and photos!
T&Cs – prize draw
- There is one prize of a £25 gift card for a supermarket of the winner’s choice.
- Open to UK residents aged 18 and over, excluding employees and relatives of SuperLucky.
- Closing date for entries is 11.59pm GMT on 24 December 2020.
- Entrants must share a photo of their Reverse Advent Calendar box on their Instagram feed, Instagram story or Twitter using #FoodbankAdvent and tag @superluckydi
- Multiple photos are welcomed, but the entrant’s name will only go into the draw once.
- The winner will be chosen at random and contacted via private/direct message.
- The winner will be informed by email within 7 days of the closing date and will need to respond within 28 days or a new winner will be chosen.
- The winner’s name will be available on request.
- The prize voucher will be posted to the winner within 28 days of the winner confirming their address.
- The promoter is SuperLucky.
- By participating in this prize draw, entrants confirm they have read, understood and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions